Monday, January 7, 2013

Out With the Old

Well, friends, it is that time again. Resolutions, aspirations, and predictions are demanded of us every where we turn. I must admit, though, I'm fresh out of any of the above. I still haven't fulfilled most of my resolutions from 2012, so what is there to make me believe 2013 will be any different?

I've been puzzling over that question for the better part of two weeks. As the new year approached, I wanted to stand up and shout, "Wait! Stop! I'm not finished with 2012 just yet!" If only, I'd had one more week, one more day even, those well-intentioned resolutions would've been more than a faint memory or, worse, a regret.

So my goal for 2013 is to, above all, be realistic. I might not sign a contract on my latest work-in-progress, but I can certainly finish and polish it. I can't change the fact I missed the deadline for the RWA's Golden Heart Awards for 2012 because my hubby was sick, but I can certainly put that romance in the drawer and pull it out again when they open for entries in November. I might not find my daughter enough scholarship money to send her to the out-of-state college she wants to attend, make my spindly nine-year-old son more suitable for POP-Warner football, or cure my husband's cancer in 2013, but I can absolutely support, protect, and create a healthy living environment for them all.

These simple objectives are more attainable than the grand ideas I  had in mind for 2012. They are comprised of simple things I can control, things that deal with my behavior instead of others'. And that is where I believe success lies.

So, in 2013 we can all put away the self-doubt, the guilt, and the anxiety which accompanies our usual resolutions, and return to a simpler way of doing things. I for one vow, above all, to enjoy each day given to me and my family, and if I just happen to achieve something greater, I'll look upon it as a gift.

Happy New Year!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment