Thursday, July 5, 2012

Confessions of a Bookaholic

Hello, my name is Melissa, and I am a Bookaholic.

When you think of losing yourself in a book, images of comfortable, oversized chairs, crackling fires, and dark evenings might spring to mind. While winter reigns as the undisputed king of novel reading, Summer just might be its queen. Blistering heat, cool air conditioning, and sandy beaches all make periods of inactivity a requirement for survival. Enter books. Many, many, many books.

It takes me about a day to read a typical paperback book. Something a little meatier might spread out over a few days. I wake up early to read. I go to bed late because I'm reading. I read while my children have horseback riding lessons, swim practice, and tennis lessons. I read on the treadmill. I listen to books on tape while I do other exercise and activities. And when I'm not reading--or playing games with my children--I am writing.

Books are my window to the world. My brain is filled with useless nuggets of information which have little or no connection to any other part of my life, all attributed to books I have read. My family takes turns trying to stump me with obscure facts. They usually walk away with an eye roll and call me "well, actually" (which is patently false, by the way; I do not say that . . . much).

A diverse group of new releases this month are currently pre-ordered and stockpiled in my Kindle for an upcoming beach trip. My husband will be grateful for the absence of the dozen-or-so books that usually accompany me on a vacatation, I assure you. And if you still have any questions about what constitutes a Bookaholic, you can ask him. He pays all the bills.

Are you a Bookaholic too?

Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes! I go nuts entering contests and keep winning, yup, books! I can't seem to win any of the big prizes, just books. But I'm not complaining. I received 5 books in the last couple of months alone from bookreads.com. Eases your bills if you can win the books. :) I make a wide turn around the book store when at the mall but at Christmas Amazon is always calling me.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm. Free Books!(Think Homer Simpson and doughnuts). I'm going to have to try that.
      I know exactly what you mean about the book store. Amazon already owns my firstborn. The second one is hanging on by sheer willpower. . .

      Delete