Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why We Read or Just Read!

In my experience, most folks read fiction for the entertainment value of experiencing a story. Of course, there are as many different tastes as there are people. Some like the unfolding of events of plot-driven fiction and others enjoy the drama as characters react to events in character-driven stories. Some want to experience completely different worlds and stretch their imagination in fantasy or a historical period. Another variable is how much a person wants this form of entertainment.

But then there are those who don’t like to read. One of my daughters reads more sci/fi in a week than I could process in a life-time, and she does that most every week. Her twin sister sees little value in books at all. (Her texting skills, however, may be approaching legendary proportions.) Since I encourage her to read a little for the benefit of her developing brain, she chooses stories that focus on people.

My twin girls have taught me so much about how different people are. My regard for them certainly isn’t dependant on what or how much they read, just like their differing taste for food isn’t significant to me.

No one should ever feel intimidated because their sister reads more than they do. Or because their neighbor reads literary books and they enjoy popular fiction or romance. I’m convinced if people will read what appeals to them, they may grow to enjoy different material at some point. There’s no reason for anyone to force themselves to read anything for pleasure that they don’t like. I enjoy genres now that I turned my nose up at when I was younger. Reading tastes may change or expand, like clothes and d├ęcor, in the same age group, as well. But if my reader-twin never enjoys anything but sci/fi, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Reading, for the writer, also has another element. I think of it as similar to how children assimilate their parents’ speech patterns and mannerism and incorporate them into the fabric of their individuality. Writers may also analyze things like craft or structural issues in their reading material for learning purposes.

We would love to have some of our visitors comment on whatever they are reading. Your opinion of a book is as valuable as ours! We really enjoy hearing different perspectives.

So, please, don’t be shy!

Melinda

1 comment:

  1. I am currently reading Ann Patchett's State of Wonder for the 3rd time. I love her creative descriptions, the insects' "slender antennae", can feel the choking weight of the Brazilian Spring. Before that, I read RITA Award winner, Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase, which is an equally lovely regency romance which will make your heart ache and soar. I find I need to bookend a heavier book like Alice Sebold's Lovely Bones or Audrey Niffeneger's Her Fearful Symmetry with lighter stories with happier endings. Reading therapy!

    ReplyDelete