Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey, Harper: HarperCollins, Feb. 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this contemporary Jane Eyre!

What I loved: The modernization hit just the right balance of remaining in the spirit of the original while providing a fresh perspective. Gemma resonated with me, so I was completely engaged the entire length of the book. Very atmospheric which is almost essential for me. There’s hardly a wobble in the entire narrative and the 443 pages went extremely fast.

Although the portrayal of Mr. Sinclair didn’t detract from the book, he wasn’t as captivating a character as Mr. Rochester. I think it’s because the dark elements of Mr. Sinclair aren’t as dark as Mr. Rochester’s. This led me to ponder how dark characters, especially heroes, resonate and it poses some interesting questions—enough for another post. It’d be great if some of you would be thinking about your favorite dark characters.

As always, please chime in on the comments, if you have any thoughts about this book or comments on anything you’ve read and would like to tell us about!

Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment